Now Playing
Magic 105.3
Last Song Played
Today's Best Music
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
Magic 105.3
Last Song Played
Today's Best Music

national

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >

Prince Philip back in the driver's seat with Queen Elizabeth II after hospitalization

Prince Philip is back behind the wheel following his brief hospitalization.

>> Prince Philip leaves hospital

Last week, the 96-year-old royal was hospitalized for a two-night stay for an infection stemming from a “pre-existing condition” but has since been released. According to People, he was spotted driving his wife, Queen Elizabeth II, on Sunday.

>> Read more trending news

The royal couple was reportedly on their way to watch granddaughter Lady Louise Windsor, daughter of Prince Edward, participate in a Guards Polo Club event.

>> PHOTOS: Prince Philip through the years

Officials stated that Prince Philip was in “good spirits” during his hospital stay and was sad to miss the State Opening of Parliament on Wednesday and one day of the Royal Ascot horse race.

In May, Buckingham Palace announced that Prince Philip would be taking a step back from his royal duties after 70 years of public service.

Man reels in, returns stranger's camera after it was lost five years

Alex Mansur was paddleboarding with family when he lost his camera on a trip to the Tennessee River in 2012. Mansur and his family were meeting relatives in Chattanooga and paddleboarding together for the first time, according to the St. Augustine Record.

The camera's lanyard slid off his wrist.

“I felt it falling down my legs and down the board. I jumped in after it, but it just slipped away,” Mansur told the Record.

That was that, he told WTVC. “All my family members were really upset as well.”

Fast forward five years.

>> Read more trending news

Nate Wilson and Matthew Schubert of Chattanooga Cycleboats hit the Tennessee River to record footage for an upcoming travel show. As they demonstrated casting into the water from a Cycleboat, they hit a snag. The story, as Wilson tells it, is that they were really just trying to save a “pretty expensive” lure.

But the snag broke, and they reeled it in. What they got was an Olympus camera that had been down there for quite some time, it seemed.

Wilson said finding the camera was exciting.

“When Captain Matt (Schubert) pulled that camera out of the river by the wrist strap the first thing I said was ‘Guys that memory card is going to work, and we are going to find the owner!’ I was pretty anxious and excited.”

They opened the camera with a screwdriver, recovered the SD card, slid it into a computer, and found a whole lot of photos. Hundreds, in fact. And Wilson was startled to see the .EXIF data indicating that the photos were shot between 2009 and 2012, meaning the camera had been sitting on the riverbed for years.

Wilson posted the photos on Facebook later that night, including a clear selfie from the camera. In 10 hours, a relative of Mansur’s had identified it and put them in touch.

The internet!

Mansur is, unsurprisingly, enormously grateful.

“Those videos of me hiking alone in the wilderness marked a pretty personal and challenging time in my life, and those experiences I had alone in Southwest Texas were some pivotal moments that led me to where I am today,” he said in a statement posted by Wilson of the account:

I would like to tremendously thank Nate Wilson and everyone for this unbelievable experience in returning mycamera I lost 5 years ago! I am still in disbelief over this amazing ordeal and how it has unfolded. He is a tremendous person for taking the time to reunite me with my camera and the many wonderful memories it held. My sincerest gratitude to Nate and everyone who helped!

Tim Tebow promoted by Mets

Tim Tebow, the former Heisman Trophy winning quarterback at the University of Florida, earned a promotion and will be moving on up in the New York Mets farm system.

Tebow will be moving on from Single-A Columbia and up to the Mets Advanced-A ball team, the St. Lucie Mets.

>> Read more trending news

“Tim brought an incredible amount of experience and leadership to our clubhouse,” Fireflies president John Katz said in a statement. “His contributions, both on the field and in our community, have made a tremendous impact on our team, the City of Columbia and the entire South Atlantic League. We wish Tim the best as he continues his journey to Citi Field.”

The New York Mets general manager, Sandy Alderson spoke to reporters about the move up for Tebow.

In 63 games, Tebow hit .222 with three home runs and 23 RBI. He also added 23 walks and was second on the team in doubles with 14. Given Tebow’s popularity, he was a huge draw for the Fireflies.

Tebow’s first game with the St. Lucie Mets will be on Tuesday, June 27 against the Palm Beach Cardinals. In May, Tebow signed a contract extension with ESPN, where he will continue to cover college football as an analyst for ESPN and the SEC Network.

Celebrity chef injured in gas explosion at new Bahamas restaurant

A South Florida chef who starred in a cable TV reality cooking show suffered third-degree burns Thursday after a gas explosion at his new restaurant in the Bahamas, Local 10 News in Miami reports.

Ralph Pagano was airlifted to a Miami hospital after the blast at Resorts World Bimini. He was turning on the kitchen's gas burners when the oven blew up.

"My hands were on fire, my shirt was on fire, my pants were on fire," Pagano told Local 10 News from Jackson Memorial Hospital.

>> Read more trending news

The chef, who starred in the Lifetime show “All Mixed Up,” suffered burns on his face, legs and hands. "I thought I was going to die," he said. "Luckily, I stopped, dropped and rolled."

"I'm going to need skin grafts and about a month in the hospital, but I'm alive," Pagano said.

Pagano has made other TV appearances, including competing on “Hell's Kitchen” and “Iron Chef.” 

He owns several South Florida restaurants: Naked Taco in Miami Beach, Naked Lunch in Miami and Naked Crab in Fort Lauderdale.

He was opening a new Naked Taco location when the accident occurred

Police officer throws birthday party for homeless man

Odessa police Cpl. Roland Heyne first met Anthony Ramsey about a month ago at a convenience store he goes to while on duty. 

Ramsey, who’s homeless, left an indelible mark on Heyne.

 “A lot of people have had interactions (with Ramsey), where he’s given them a lot, and given them labor and assistance in things,” Heyne told KOSA. “I think to myself, Anthony, everything he owns is pretty much what you see on him right now. It’s what he’s wearing, it’s what he’s carrying with him and at the end of the night he has to sleep on the ground.”

>> Read more trending news

So, with help from his wife, Heyne assembled a cake, decorations and gifts, to give Ramsey a birthday to remember on Saturday. 

“I can’t believe it, everybody that’s done this for me, surprised me, and you know, I never had this done before,” Ramsey, who turned 37, told KOSA. “I appreciate the people who did this for me and really care about me.”

Ramsey rode his bicycle to the area looking for work about five months ago. He has gotten the occasional odd job but is hopeful for something more permanent.  

The Heyne family set up a PayPal account to help Ramsey as he searches for a job. Heyne is thankful for the support the community gave Ramsey for his birthday party.

“I think good people came together and saw a person that needed a good birthday and that’s what they did,” Heyne said. “Gave him a good birthday, I’m grateful for that.”

Aspiring singer found murdered in home, police say

Family and friends are mourning the loss of a beloved daughter who was found dead in her home on Friday night.

Egypt Covington, 27, is believed to have been murdered, police said. Covington was found dead by a friend, according to MLive.com.

Covington’s father, Chuck Covington, broke down during an interview with WJBK describing his daughter, who had a “smile that lightens up the room” and “lift(ed) people up.”

The grieving father urged the murderer to come forward and surrender to police.

“People wanted to be around her because she lifted us up, and that’s gone now,” he said tearfully. “They’ll never able to walk, think, talk, hold their head up because of what they know they did.”

So far, police have not said how Egypt Covington was killed and have approached the investigation in a “low-key” way, according to Chuck Covington, given the small-town setting.

Egypt Covington was known locally for her singing and won a “Country Idol” competition. 

Palmer House Bar & Grill, an employer of Egypt Covington, posted condolences on social media:

So stunned and saddened with the news that our Rave sales rep, Egypt Covington, was murdered in her home last night. Thoughts and prayers for her and her family and friends. She was a beautiful and bright human being and touched many lives.

White St. Louis officer shoots off-duty black cop in arm during shootout

A St. Louis police officer is recovering from a gunshot wound to the arm after being fired upon by a fellow officer while responding to a crime scene while off duty. A lawyer for the injured officer says it was the victim’s race that caused him to be the target of the bullet.

Last week, the unnamed officer saw and heard the end of a car chase in his neighborhood, according to KTVI. The officer, who was off-duty at the time, is black.

A stolen car with three suspects in it had crashed in his neighborhood, leading to a short exchange of gunfire between the suspects and the police. Two of those suspects have been arrested; one remains at large.

>> Read more trending news

When the off-duty officer heard the exchange, he equipped his service weapon and left his home to help the officers at the scene. When he approached the officers, he identified himself to two of them, who called him closer after recognizing him.

But a third officer, only identified as a white man who is an eight-year member of the department, fired on him. The unnamed officer has told police investigators that he “feared for his safety” and “did not recognize” the black off-duty officer.

The officers involved are on routine administrative leave while the incident is investigated.

The wounded officer is not giving interviews. His attorney, Rufus J. Tate, made the following statement:

In the police report you have so far, there is absolutely no description of any type of threat he perceived. So we have a real problem with that. But it also presents a bigger problem that has been a national discussion for the past two years — that’s this perception that a black man is automatically feared.

Woman lashes out about Confederate flag on man's 'Dukes of Hazzard' car

Activist Ybia Anderson confronted the unnamed owner of a replica General Lee muscle car at a heritage festival last Saturday and the resulting video has gone viral.

Anderson, who is black, began videoing the car, a 1969 Dodge Charger similar to the one featured on the television show "The Dukes of Hazzard" as it was “front and center, the first thing people see when they walk in” at the Highland Creek Heritage Festival in Toronto.

>> Read more trending news

Narrating, she also says on-camera that an unnamed man — possibly the owner of the vehicle — is attempting to “educate (her) on the Civil War.”

Anderson lays into the man for the Confederate flag proudly displayed on the car.

“People who look exactly like me and my son died, were murdered, because of that flag,” she told him. “They hung our people from trees until their eyes bugged out.” She tells him that he, a white man, cannot understand why the Confederate flag is offensive.

The increasingly emotional exchange gets the attention of two festival officials, both of whom attempt to handle it calmly. One of them is black.

Festival officials did apologize for the incident.

"We recognize that symbology can be profoundly evocative," Paul Maguire, chairman of the festival organization committee, wrote on social media. "We did not, and would not, choose to present any element that brings to mind one of the ugliest periods of human history. The committee uniformly decries all actions of hate, past and present."

Girl at fault in 25-foot fall from Six Flags ride, police say

A 14-year-old girl, who fell 25 feet from a gondola ride at Six Flags Great Escape in Queensbury, New York, Saturday night was at fault, according to authorities.

Warren County sheriff's Lt. Steven Stockdale said “human error” by the teenager caused her to slip under the metal safety bar, The Post-Star of Glen Falls reported.

>> Read more trending news

The girl dangled briefly before falling from the “Sky Ride” as a group of park guests gathered under the stopped attraction to catch her.

The teenager from Delaware was on the ride with her brother when she fell from the two-person car, the Warren County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement. 

The ride was stopped after the operator was told of a rider in distress, CBS reported.

Video of the incident shows the girl slipping through the safety bar, which briefly held her aloft while she dangled in the air.

The teen struck a tree before landing in the crowd, which had gathered to catch her. She was treated at the park, then taken to an area hospital.

>> Related: Girl, 11, dies after falling out of ride at water park

Park officials said the ride was working properly.

“There does not appear to be any malfunction of the ride, but we have closed the attraction until the a thorough review can be completed,” USA Today reported park officials said in a statement.

Another person was injured as he was trying to help catch the girl.

Missing NC teen found safe in Georgia more than a year after she vanished

missing North Carolina teenager, who vanished last year, has turned up at a home in Georgia.

Hailey Burns, now 17, has been reunited with her family at an undisclosed location in Georgia, according to law enforcement sources.

>> Read more trending news

FBI special agent in Charlotte learned of information that led investigators to a home in Duluth, Georgia, where they found Burns.

A man found at the home, Michael Ren Wysolovski, was taken into custody and is now facing a number of state charges, the FBI said.

The FBI in Charlotte and the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department will continue their investigation into Burns' disappearance and will work closely with the FBI Atlanta and the Gwinnett County Police Department. 

Burns  was last been seen at her Charlotte-area home on May 23, 2016.

Police said at the time they had information that she may have left of her own accord and they weren’t sure if she had help.

“You have to let go of the hope that she will just walk through the door, the teen’s mother, Shaunna Burns, said in a later interview.

“We are past that point. She is not just going to come home in the middle of the night. You have to hope that they still find her, wherever she is.”

>> Related: Body, likely missing Arkansas boy, found after 3 relatives discovered dead

“You have to distract yourself because you will drive yourself crazy wondering what you could have done, or could be doing,” her father, Anthony Burns, said after his daughter disappeared.

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >