Now Playing
Magic 105.3
Last Song Played
Today's Best Music
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
Magic 105.3
Last Song Played
Today's Best Music

national

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >

Photos: Hurricane Maria slams Caribbean

Hurricane Maria is bearing down on the Caribbean and is set to pass over much the same area devastated by Hurricane Irma.

Hurricane Irma: Officials question Duke Energy about remaining 37K local power outages

Patience is wearing thin for the 37,000 Duke Energy customers in Central Florida who awoke Tuesday morning in homes without electricity.

More than 33,000 local outages remained by Tuesday afternoon.

The company's Seminole County delegation met at downtown Sanford's Seminole County Services Building to question company officials about why so many customers remain without power more than a week after Hurricane Irma blew through Central Florida.

>> Read more trending news

Duke Energy had promised to fully restore power to its customers by midnight Sunday, but it later said efforts wouldn't be complete until 11 p.m. Tuesday. The company blamed an IT issue for delays and miscommunication.

Read: Powerless, frustrated residents enter week 2 as Duke works to restore power

State Rep. Bob Cortes, who attended Tuesday's meeting, said he's disappointed that the company hasn't made good on its initial promise.

"We understand that power restoration after a natural disaster of this magnitude is a Herculean task," Cortes said in a letter to the company. "But Duke Energy's lack of transparency and effective communication about the situation and IT issues is trying its customers' patience and eroding their confidence in Duke's operation."

But Cortes said during Tuesday's meeting that the blame lies with Irma.

Read: Hurricane Irma aftermath: Trash, debris pickup information

Read: Hurricane Irma aftermath: Trash, debris pickup information

Apopka resident Francine Uva said she's been frustrated by the lack of communication.

"You don't really know if it is going to be on," Uva said. "It's not on as of yet, and they promised."

Arthur Archer, who also lives in Apopka, said the storm has cost him greatly.

"My food is gone," he said. "My bank account is disappearing."

Read: Hurricane Irma: Flood warning remains in effect for residents near Lake Harney

Officials said the original deadline wasn't met because electrical systems in some areas were destroyed and because storm debris has blocked access to power lines, especially in areas hit by tornadoes. Thousands of utility poles, transformers and power lines need replacing, they said.

Earlier this week, the company's president apologized for the lengthy outage and said that its customers deserve better. She said that IT issues led to inaccurate reports of restorations.

A Duke Energy representative echoed those sentiments during Tuesday's meeting.

Read: Hurricane Irma: Updates on cable, Wi-Fi restoration

"I'd like to start with an apology," the spokesman said. "We let our customers down."

Duke Energy officials said customers in Seminole and Marion counties would have power restored by 11 p.m. Monday. But on Tuesday afternoon, there were still more than 9,000 outages in those counties.

Read: Hurricane Irma: How to recover lost wages after the storm

Hurricane Maria: Live updates

Hurricane Maria is bearing down on the Caribbean and is set to pass over much the same area devastated by Hurricane Irma nearly two weeks ago.

>> Read more trending news 

8-year-old football players kneel during national anthem in protest

Every player from an 8-and-under football team in Belleville, Illinois, took a knee in protest during the national anthem before their game on Saturday, according to KTVI.

>> Watch the news report here

“One of the kids asked me if I saw (people) protesting and rioting in St. Louis. I said yes; I said, ‘Do you know why they are doing it?'” said Coach Orlando Gooden during a phone interview with the news station on Tuesday.

>> See a photo of the protest here

Gooden told the news station that one of the players responded, “Because black people are getting killed and nobody’s going to jail.”

Gooden, a former football player at the University of Missouri, said his players were aware of the recent Jason Stockley decision, which saw an ex-St. Louis officer acquitted in a fatal shooting of a black driver and led to numerous protests.

>> Elderly woman knocked to ground by police during St. Louis protest

“I felt like it was a good teaching moment for me to circle the team and have a meeting,” he said.

Gooden said he spoke with his team about that and other situations that have taken place recently in the United States and explained why free agent quarterback Colin Kaepernick and others have knelt during the anthem in protest.

>> Read more trending news

“One of the kids asked, ‘Can we do that?’ I said, ‘As long as we know why we’re doing it, I don’t have a problem with any of it,'” he said.

According to the coach, the third-graders immediately took a knee as the anthem began, with their backs — unintentionally — away from the flag.

“What I teach my kids is love, integrity, honesty, fairness, respect and boundaries,” he said.

The players’ parents reportedly supported the coach’s decision to allow the team to take a knee; however, a Facebook post from his wife reveals that there has been some backlash from other residents in the area.

“As long as I have support of my parents and team, I’m perfectly fine, and I’m covered under the First Amendment to peacefully protest and assemble,” Gooden said.

Navy hospital employee accused of mishandling newborn babies: 'Sorry for offending'

Employees at Florida's Naval Hospital Jacksonville who reportedly posted a viral video of newborn babies “dancing” will likely face criminal charges.

>> Watch the news report here

The newborns were referred as “mini Satans” by the employees. 

When the employees posted the pictures of the baby’s face, that alone is a violation of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. 

>> On ActionNewsJax.com: Navy hospital apologizes for staff's 'inappropriate' photos of newborns

Action News Jax Law and Safety Expert Dale Carson says the employees could be charged with more than a HIPPA violation. Carson said he believes this is a case of child abuse.

In the video, rap music from 50 Cent can be heard in the background as a staff member from Naval Hospital Jacksonville is seen making a newborn baby dance to the music. 

>> Watch the clip here

The woman who sent Action News Jax the Snapchat video also sent text messages detailing a conversation between her and the U.S. Navy employee.

The employee said: "We were being stupid and bored. Sorry for offending.”

But some parents were angry over the video. 

>> Read more Floridoh! stories

“That baby could have been seriously injured … all because she wanted to be popular on social media,” parent Regina Wortmann said. 

A photo was also posted showing a staff member making an obscene hand gesture and saying that was how she felt about the “mini Satans.” 

"She'll receive demerits and be punished in some way," Carson said.

Naval Hospital Jacksonville posted an apology via Facebook, calling the posts “outrageous.” 

>> Navy hospital apologizes for staff's 'inappropriate' photos of newborns

“We have identified the staff members involved,” the hospital said. “They have removed from patient care and they will be handled by the legal system and military justice.” 

Carson says the incident could be very costly. 

>> Read more trending news

“It’s clearly a HIPPA violation and probably the U.S. Navy and their medical system at NAS Jax can be sued over this,” Carson said. 

Action News Jax contacted the hospital for more information. Officials sent the station an email saying the public information officer is “attempting to respond to all requests in a timely matter.” 

>> Watch another news report here

Jimmy Kimmel: Senator ‘lied right to my face’ about healthcare

Late night talk show host Jimmy Kimmel had harsh words for a lawmaker who told him that he’d put all health care bills under what the senator called the “Jimmy Kimmel Test,” then announced his support that many believe goes against that pledge.

>> Read more trending news 

Kimmel , during Monday night’s show, said that Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-LA) “lied right to my face” when the senator talked about his “test” on any health care bill proposed back in May. The test would make sure that “No family should be denied medical care, emergency or otherwise because they can’t afford it.”

Kimmel said that, “He [Cassidy] agreed to that. He said he would only support a health care bill that made sure a child like mine would get the health coverage he needs, no matter how much money his parents make.”

Cassidy teamed up with Senators Lindsey Graham (R-SC), Dean Heller (R-NV) and Ron Johnson (R-WI) for the bill that, according to Cassidy, repeals Obamacare and replaces it with grants that are given each year to states to help the population pay for health care, CNN reported.

The grants will be run through the Children’s Health Insurance Program, or CHIP. 

Cassidy, during his appearance on the show in May, said that lifetime limits would not be set. But in the bill as it stands, itwill be up to individual states to run the health care programs as lawmakers in state capitals see fit, meaning that states can decide if there are caps or if someone with a preexisting condition will be charged more for their coverage, The Washington Post reported.

The Washington Post reported that the bill could lead to a per capita cap on Medicaid. Some states may turn to a single-payer system. Other states could eliminate coverage for some who need it or make it so expensive that some can’t afford it.

Kimmel announced in May that his son had to undergo open heart surgery shortly after he was born. Kimmel said that if a child has to have multiple open heart surgeries, the cost can be hundreds of thousands of dollars each. 

Kimmel has urged his viewers to call their senators and tell them their views on the proposed bill. He posted the number to the Capitol Hill switchboard to his Twitter page.

Despite Kimmel calling Cassidy a liar on his show, Cassidy has not responded directly to the monologue, CNN reported. Cassidy did release the following statement:

“We have a September 30th deadline on our promise. Let’s finish the job. We must because there is a mother and father whose child will have insurance because of Graham Cassidy Heller Johnson. There is someone whose pre-existing condition will be addressed because of GCHJ.”

Kevin Hart's ex-wife says his cheating ruined their marriage

With Kevin Hart’s marital woes suddenly painfully public, his first wife is speaking frankly about what wrecked their marriage.

“Lies and infidelity,” Torrei Hart, mother of Kevin’s son and daughter, told Inside Edition. The two were married from 2003 to 2011, getting together before Kevin was famous and drifting apart after he did.

>> Kevin Hart apologizes to wife, kids following cheating rumors

Kevin is in Atlanta at the moment filming “Night School.”

He’s recently been the target of rumors suggesting romantic liaisons outside his current marriage, but has up to now denied such talk. In a video he posted over the weekend, however, he struck a somber and confessional tone.

>> Read more trending news

“I’m at a place in my life where I feel like I have a target on my back. Because of that, I should make smart decisions. Recently, I didn’t,” he said. “I made a bad error in judgment. I put myself in an environment where only bad things can happen, and they did. In doing that, I know I’m going to hurt the people closest to me .. my wife and kids. It’s a (expletive) moment when you know you’re wrong.”

>> On AJC.com: What Kevin Hart’s wife did after his apology video

>> On AJC.com: Kevin Hart launches his own comedy app

Kevin and Eniko Parrish got married in 2016 after becoming engaged in Atlanta in 2014, when he was in Atlanta filming “Ride Along.”

Doctor realizes she's going into labor after delivering patient's baby

In the early morning hours of July 28, Dr. Emily Jacobs noticed that her own water had broken just after delivering a third baby during her shift -- taking her from the role of doctor to patient.

>> Read more trending news 

"I noticed what I thought was amniotic fluid of the patient as the baby was delivering. It wasn't until I left the room when I realized that it was my water that had broken,"  Jacobs told ABC News.

Jacobs described the shock to the Iowa City Press-Citizen:

“It’s funny how fast you go from being a doctor to a patient — and you’re freaking out. One minute you are in control, and then the next, you’re not.”

Ryan, Emily’s husband, got the call around 4:45 a.m. and joined her at the hospital.

Hours later, The Jacobses welcomed  their new son, Jett Jacobs.

Read more at the Iowa City Press-Citizen here.

These are the 'Most Dangerous' celebrities on the internet, according to a new survey

What do Avril Lavigne, Bruno Mars, Beyonce, Sean “P. Diddy” Combs and Katy Perry have in common? Besides fame, that is?

>> Read more trending news

They’re “dangerous” online — at least according to McAfee, the cybersecurity company, who tracks and ranks celebrities based on the search results for their name. Using Google, Bing and Yahoo search results, the company checks how many sites list results for individual celebrities and how many of those sites are likely to infect your computer.

Celebrity news, the company says, is a common front for sites planning on installing malware or otherwise compromising your computer and/or information. McAfee has ranked celebrities this way since 2008; the first celebrity to hold the title of “most dangerous” was Brad Pitt.

This year, the top of the list is Canadian pop princess Avril Lavigne, according to the new rankings. Over 14 percent of pages with her name on it also contain a threat of some sort; that number comes closer to 25 percent when “free mp3” is added to the search.

Bruno Mars and Carly Rae Jepsen are No. 2 and No. 3, followed by Zayn Malik, Celine Dion, Calvin Harris, Justin Beiber, Sean Combs, Katy Perry and Beyonce.

Mother speaks out after her children are barred from school after principal denies their residency

Four children have been barred from a Memphis, Tennessee, school after its principal denies their residency.

For nearly two weeks, Erica Smith, the mother of those children, says she has fought to get them re-enrolled in Snowden School since they were barred from attending by Principal Jamie Stallsmith Sept. 8. 

>> Read more trending news

Over a week later, Smith is facing a subpoena from Shelby County sheriff for truancy. Smith said she has tried to prove to Shelby County Schools that she does live in the district.

“People sleep outside for a chance to get their kids to go to an optional school, and you mean to tell me that I stay in the district and I’m allowed to get them in optional school for free? If you don't think I want that opportunity? Of course I do,” Smith said.

An optional school has specialized learning focuses that range from college prep, international studies, international baccalaureate, creative and performing arts, health science and others, according to the Shelby County Schools website.

Smith found out her children had been kicked out of Snowden School weeks ago.

“Originally, my children were kicked out of school due to a residency issue,” Smith said. “The principal was stating that we were not staying where I told them that we stayed.”

After she met all of the requirements for proof of residency, her kids were still not allowed back into school. Then Smith said she was told by Stallsmith that her 6-year-old had a behavioral issue. She agrees he does, but he has never been violent.

“He hasn’t hit anybody or put his hands on anybody.”

Shelby County School District responded to the issue in an email to Smith.

“It has come to our attention that school leaders spoke with the family earlier today and the students will be allowed to attend Snowden,” the email said. 

Smith said she believes there seems to be a disconnect between the school district and Stallsmith.

Smith said she took her children to school, but the principal had them leave.

“She puts us out of the school telling us that she wants to talk to them before she re-enrolled us, and then she prolongs it another day,” Smith said. “Yesterday she threatened to call the police if I didn't get off the property.”

Smith said she plans on taking her children back to Snowden School on Wednesday morning to re-enroll them.

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >